Cuts are breaks in the skin caused by sharp objects. They can be jagged or straight, surface-level or deeper. If you have a deep cut, go to the ER immediately. Cuts put you at risk for infection.
Does the cut need stitches?
Sometimes it might be difficult to determine if a cut needs stiches. If you aren't sure it's best to seek medical attention because most cuts that require stiches must be repaired within a short time frame measured in hours.
Some examples of cuts that need medical attention are:
- The opening of the cut is gaping
- The wound is bleeding profusely
- A foreign object is embedded, which needs to be removed by a healthcare provider
- The wound is more than a quarter-inch deep, exposes the yellow fatty tissue below the skin or reaches bone
- The wound is large or deep, even if it is not bleeding a lot
- The wound is caused by an animal or human bite, or a rusty or unclean object
Is the cut infected?
Cuts can easily become infected. Cuts caused by bites or unclean objects, as well as cuts on the feet, are at a higher risk for infection. If the cut is infected, seek medical attention.
Signs of infection include:
- Warmth or heat around the wound area
- Redness in the area
- Throbbing and swelling
- Drainage of any pus-like substance
You can lower your risk of infection in minor cuts by keeping the area clean, changing the wound dressing regularly, and only treating the area with hands cleaned with antibacterial soap and water.
Do not try to remove embedded debris. Instead, visit a healthcare provider at your local CareNow®.
If your cut is bleeding and won’t stop, goes past the first layer of skin, or shows signs of infection, visit a CareNow® urgent care clinic immediately to get treatment for your minor injury.
If a major and life-threatening laceration has occured, dial 911 for emergency care at your local hospital.
CareNow® Can Help With Minor Injuries
For conveniency, did you know you can check in online? Wait from the comfort of your own home before you visit us using our Web Check-In® feature.
We'll give you a call as soon as we're ready for your visit!Web Check-In®