A well woman physical is an annual checkup to help women identify any health issues, particularly concerning the reproductive system, before they become life-threatening. Depending on your age and risk factors, a healthcare provider can screen for heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer and other diseases. A well woman visit can also be the time to discuss any mental health concerns, such as depression or anxiety.Find a CareNow® clinic near you
What should you expect during a well woman physical?
During the exam, a healthcare provider will check the following:
- Height and weight
- Vital signs, such as blood pressure, temperature and pulse
- Coordination, posture and reflexes
- Hearing and vision
You might be asked for a blood sample to check your cholesterol levels. Diabetes screenings are common for women after age 45.
The exam will also screen for other health problems that are unique to women, such as a breast exam for breast cancer, pelvic exam and pap smear for cervical cancer and bone-mass measurements for osteoporosis. The exam might also include colon cancer screening and shots to prevent flu, tetanus and pneumonia.
How should you prepare for a well woman physical?
When you come in for a well woman exam, remember to bring the following:
- A list of all your prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs and supplements
- Results from any recent medical tests
- Update of family health history (Are there any new serious illnesses in your family?)
- Names and contact information for other healthcare providers you have seen recently
- List of any symptoms or pain you are experiencing
- Medical and surgical history
- Update on vaccinations
Scheduling a yearly well woman exam is a smart preventive practice, no matter your age.
If it’s time for your well woman physical, CareNow® urgent care can help. Locate the nearest CareNow® urgent care clinic today.
Our clinics are open seven days a week for walk-in patients. You can minimize your wait time with our Web Check-In®.