It’s no secret that most of us try to eat healthier during the summer. Not only does the thought of a swimsuit have us reaching for the fruit, warm weather steers us away from comfort foods and towards lighter foods, such as salad. However, there are certain foods that peak in taste and nutritional value during summer.
- Watermelon: Aside from the fact that watermelon is extremely low in calories, its high water content helps keep you hydrated during the scorching heat of summer. Additionally, watermelon will help protect your skin from the sun thanks to its lycopene content.
- Summer squash: As its name suggest, summer squash is an excellent food to work into your summer diet. The fiber in summer squash helps keep you full so you’re less likely to get hungry throughout the day, as an added bonus.
- Tomatoes: Because they are most ripe from July through September, tomatoes are one of the best foods to eat during the summer. This heart-healthy food is low in calories and high in vitamins, making it an ideal topping to your salad or sandwich.
- Corn: One of the most popular food items to eat during the summer is corn. Whether it’s creamed or on the cob, corn has been a summer favorite forever. By choosing the yellow variety over the white, you’ll gain valuable vitamin A as well.
- Zucchini: Providing 35% of your suggested daily intake of vitamin C, one cup of zucchini offers plenty of bang for its buck. A one-cup serving will only cost you 20 calories, but provides endless menu opportunities.
Taking advantage of certain foods during the summer months will not only allow you to reap their nutritional benefits, but to enjoy them at their peak of flavor. If you have questions about your diet, call CareNow to speak with a professional that would love to help. You will avoid the waiting room by checking in online!
Disclaimer: Patients’ health can vary. Always consult with a medical professional before taking medication, making health-related decisions or deciding if medical advice is right for you.