May 5th has become a highly celebrated date in America. Cinco de Mayo originated as a way to commemorate Mexico's victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla, but has become a way for Americans to indulge in their favorite Mexican foods as well. If you're looking to celebrate Cinco de Mayo this year, you can keep your diet relatively healthy by following these five recipes.
- Guacamole: Avocado is one of the healthiest fats you can eat, so guacamole is a tasty, yet healthy, way to splurge on Cinco de Mayo. This dip is filled with low-calorie ingredients like diced onion, diced roma tomatoes, minced garlic gloves, minced cilantro and lime juice. To make guacamole, simply mash the avocado, slowly mixing in the remaining ingredients. Add salt to flavor and enjoy!
- Grilled Fish Tacos: Fish is a lean protein that should be enjoyed regularly. Replacing beef tacos with grilled fish tacos is a great way to enjoy a Mexican classic with a healthy twist. For added nutrition, fill your tacos with peppers, onions and broccoli slaw. Don't forget to skip the sour cream and cheese to shed a few more calories!
- Black Bean Soup: This recipe for black bean soup is easy to make and comes in handy as leftovers the next day. The black beans offer a high serving of fiber, while the chili powder and onion add a touch of zest to this Southwestern-flavored soup. This dish is also a great option for vegetarians!
- Shrimp Fajitas: Fajitas are one of the healthier meals at Mexican restaurants and they're easy to make at home as well. Grilled shrimp, corn tortillas, plenty of onions and peppers and a dollop of guacamole make for a high-protein, healthy dish.
- Baked Churros: No celebration is complete without dessert and these baked churros are a great low-calorie option. Typically churros are fried in oil, but these are baked in the oven, coming out crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. Click here for the full recipe.
For more healthy tips and up-to-date medical information, check back on the CareNow blog regularly. At CareNow, our staff is highly trained and can perform an EKG test for you. We have 29 locations throughout the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex (with more opening soon!), along with locations in Las Vegas, Denver, Nashville, Austin, Orlando, Northern Virginia, and Kansas City. Visit CareNow.com for a complete list of locations near you.
Disclaimer: Patients' health can vary. Always consult with a medical professional before taking medication, making health-related decisions or deciding if medical advice is right for you.